For Immediate Release
Contact: Amber Martin-Jahn, Executive Director
(775) 825-1900 | email@example.com
Governor’s Points of Light Awards Accepting Nominations
RENO/LAS VEGAS, May 1, 2015— Nominations are being accepted through June 30th for extraordinary volunteer efforts of Nevadans throughout the state. Finalists selected will be recognized at the Governor’s Points of Light Awards Ceremony on October 8, 2015 at Bally’s Las Vegas Nevada.
The nomination categories are:
- Northern Nevada Individual
- Southern Nevada Individual
- Rural Nevada Individual
- Nonprofit and Community Organization Volunteer Program
- Corporate and Business Volunteer Program
- Volunteer Program Serving Veterans
- Volunteer Manager
“The Governor’s Points of Light Awards recognize the dedication, leadership and innovation of volunteers and volunteer programs in Nevada. We are pleased to add to the award category Volunteer Program serving Veterans, in of the critical role that veterans and those organizations who serve veterans play in leading through service,” said Amber Martin-Jahn, Nevada Volunteers Executive Director.
Nomination criteria include individuals and organizations in Nevada who through volunteerism:
1) Show achievement that is exemplary, far exceeding expectations, and are measurable.
2) Address a need not previously met in the community,
3) Show innovation in applying a new solution to an existing social program.
4) Have mobilized empowering the community to support the program or event as shown by a quality volunteer or volunteer program as reflected in the Ten Organizational standards for volunteer programs and includes ongoing opportunities for community mobilization.
5) Show endurance or sustainability in that a long-term solution to significant social issues through hands-on volunteer service was developed. The service must be direct and ongoing, rather than a one-time activity, with the exception of short-term crisis situations.
Nominations are due prior to 5 p.m. PST on June 30th and can be submitted at nevadavolunteers.org. Individuals submitting nominations should be aware that finalists are to be in attendance at the Governor’s Points of Light event and travel arrangements will be covered by Nevada Volunteers.